these are the timesdirty beloved
-

29.8.03

Figure Group With Bird
Leland Bell

"One of twentieth century's most powerful yet under-recognized artists, Leland Bell (1922-91) took inspiration from modernists as diverse as Derain, Hélion, Giacometti, and Mondrian and he applied the lessons of abstraction to figurative painting."
Bell at Swarthmore's List Gallery
_____________________

Leland Bell
Bebaminojmat, Ojibwa
First Nations artist
"My art comes from the Three Fires (or Midewiwin) tradition. That is what I believe in. I came to this belief through a dream I had about peace. It was a deeply spiritual experience. After consulting with Elders I began trying to build my sense of spirituality."
at NativeAmericaInc
________

original link from the masthead at Parking Lot

Blog Archive

Vivian

db annex larger,longer image-heavy posts