Let us consider Daniil Kharms, the Russian writer often described as an absurdist, largely unpublished in his lifetime except for his children’s books, who starved to death in the psychiatric ward of a Soviet hospital during the siege of Leningrad, having been put there by the Stalinist government for, among other reasons, his general strangeness.Daniil Karms via George Saunders and the NYT
still here 17:01
"...lamps, clothing, a bone-china teacup and saucer, hundreds of photos, her nursing diploma, citizenship papers and a pair of ice skates. Suffering from TB herself, and stressed over a series of illnesses and deaths among her loved ones, she was brought to Willard in 1941 without ever having seen a psychiatrist on the basis of complaints that she 'annoys people' and felt persecuted. On her way to the ward Margaret, 48, said she felt 'like a fly in a spider web.' She died there 32 years later."Tales from the attic at the Willard Psychiatric Center in Romulus, N.Y. in the NYT
still here 23:39
Adolf Hitler leaving Landsberg imprisonment on December 20, 1924
Jack Johnson 1928
Jack Dempsey 1922
Duke Kahanamoku 1928
Rockwell Kent 1929
Josephine Lucchese, colorature soprano 1926
Stereograph of man with device designed for flying
Edward Weston 1923
Erich Maria Remarque 1929
*Zelda Fitzgerald 1928
image links fixed
Clara Bow 1929
Dancer, Harlem, 1925
J. Van DerZee
Edward Weston and Marguerite, 1922
Dorothy Davenport Reid 1923
Dorothy Davenport at wikipedia
Sioux veterans of the Battle of Little Big Horn on battleground 1926
John Burroughs 1921
Lillian Gish 1922
Klamath woman 1923
still here 02:16
...it’s a soundproof booth, and the inside of it is kind of this sacred space. When you go inside, you close the door. You’re in Grand Central terminal, and it’s completely silent. The lights are low. And you sit across from, say, your grandmother for forty minutes, and you talk. And most people ask the big life questions, like “What are the most important lessons you’ve learned in life?” or “How do you want to be remembered?” “What did your mom sing to you when you were a kid?”StoryCorps at Democracy Now!
And then, at the end of forty minutes, two CDs have been burned. One goes home with you, and the other stays with us and goes to the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress to become part of an oral history of America.
still here 20:10
Billy Rose Theatre Collection photograph file
Alexander the Conjurer and Harry Houdini
Georgia Drew Barrymore
Georgia Drew Barrymore
Julia Marlowe by Arnold Genthe
Miss Edna May
Miss Edna May
Miss Edna May 1897 Casino Theatre
Lan Fang Mei
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Helena Modjeska 1901
The book thief:
still here 23:51
"All of the believers are shown to be cruel, horrible men who do things such as kidnap children and murder people," McCaffrey said. "They perform torture on a mass scale - all to keep everybody oppressed and under this fake God."CNSNews article on Catholic boycott of Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass, in which Pullman's quoted out of context in order to make him appear basically Satanic, basically.
Philip Pullman's website:
His Dark Materials seems to be against organised religion. Do you believe in God?
I don't know whether there's a God or not. Nobody does, no matter what they say. I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away.
Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them.
still here 21:57
The whole realm of staged (to whatever extent), yet true photography, which commonly is perceived as "pictures from the real", is manipulated to some extent even without the extensive use of Photoshop: think of Justine Kurland, Taryn Simon, Jeff Wall, Gregory Crewdson, most of all view camera portraiture and so on. Even composing an image from various photographs taken in different locations is not really new – although it has become easier with digital tools. Coming back to US orthodoxy, maybe, for example, Robert Frank and Garry Winogrand were perceived as being not so manipulative. But how does that orthodoxy work with, say, Richard Avedon, or Duane Michals?A Conversation with Kai-Olaf Hesse
Having said this, I think this is a hollow debate. Whereas I myself prefer to work in the realm of "straight" photography – meaning not to photograph or manipulate digitally – I think it doesn't really matter if you do it or not. As long as the final image is good and not self-indulging the technical process ("how the hell is it done?"), I think the new tools just add to the possibilities of photography as a medium.
still here 20:37
...I came to my own door. I found my wayD. Nurkse
from room to room in darkness,
drawing the bolts as they existed
in my mind, triangulating the threshold
from the distance between my hands.
I found my love asleep
and now I lie beside her, touching her hair
"through the roots of the great chords"
A thrilling poem, astonishing.
still here 22:28
Mr. E.H. Maxwell, inventor, displaying his lynx-eyed fire ferret, a fire extinguisher, at the National Safety Congress, in the Stevens Hotel, Chicago, Illinois
The Library of Congress Digital Catalog search engine is down, or missing, or broken or something, so I have no idea what, or when, this is.
still here 01:39
Although the Iraqi Muslim scientist Ibn al-Haitham was the first to experiment with camera obscura, Shen Kuo was the first to apply geometrical and quantitative attributes to the camera obscura, just several decades after Ibn al-Haitham's death. Using a fitting metaphor, Shen compared optical image inversion to an oarlock and waisted drum.
still here 22:04
eternity, step by step:
still here 14:40
Most Popular Baby Boy Name this century:JacobThis biblical boys name comes from Genesis 25. Abraham had a son Isaac. Isaac and his wife rebekah had twins. They named the first baby boy Esau and the second baby boy was named Jacob. He was to go on an become the father of the Jewish nation. Not unusual but still a good name!
Names in religious thought
Names are attributed added significance in traditional Jewish sources.
In the Old Testament, we find that names of individuals are meaningful. Adam is named after the "earth" (Adama) from which he was created. (Genesis 2)
A change of name indicates a change of status. For example, the patriarch "Abram" is renamed "Abraham" before he is blessed with children. His wife, "Sarai" is similarly renamed "Sarah." (Genesis 17)
The Babylonian Talmud maintains that names exert an influence over their bearers:
From where do we know that a name has a causal effect ("shama garim"). Says Rabbi Elazar: the verse says, (Psalms 46:9) "Go see the works of God, who puts desolation (shamot) in the earth." Read not "desolation" but "names" (shemot).
The Unusual Baby Boy Names Site
Unique, Unusual and Biblical Baby Names
link via boynton
still here 10:35
Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Carole King has accepted an invitation to testify before the U.S. House of Representatives Natural Resources Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands at a hearing on the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA) H.R.1975 in Washington, DC October 18, 2007.
still here 20:15
Two monks with telescope at the astronomical observatory at S. Domingo, Lima, Peru (detail, image now links out)
Then said the shepherds one to another, let us here show the pilgrims the gates of the celestial city, if they have skill to look through our prospective glass
South lawn, U.S. Naval Observatory, Spring 1874. Transit of Venus teams (image)
still here 22:08
wikipedia on William Dunbar:
Dunbar has the curious distinction of having been responsible for the first printed use of the word "fuck"wikiipedia Robert Henryson
via Seamus Heaney interview
still here 00:00
Film production crew with large fans producing windstorm scene on the set of "The Grape of Wrath"[sic] 1939 or 1940 (detail)
still here 18:04
"As one of the first dissection animals experienced in comparative anatomy laboratory, fetal or embryonic pigs are very well studied because their development and organ systems reasonably parallel human development."
still here 03:43
"Since you have caught cold." Miss Mousey said,Willie Holy Frog, Knas-ka-wakan
mmmmmmHeigho, says Rowley!
"I'll sing you a song that I have just made,"
mmmmmmWith a rowley-powley, gammon and spinach,
mmmmmmmmmHeigho, says Anthony Rowley!
Holy Frog(left) and Big Turnips
Little Old Man of The Woods
Gradation de la tá́ete de grenouille jusqu'au profil D'Apollon
Frog's Head Rock
Mammalian egg compared with eggs of such lower animals as a lizard, a frog, and crab
"Since you have caught cold..."
Optical illusion disc with man and frog
Legs of dissected frogs, and various
metallic apparatus used
to measure what was thought to be
electricity flowing in animals (detail)
still here 21:21
Tripwire is a site-specific installation responding to the unique relationship between the Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport and downtown San Jose, CA. Custom-built sensors hidden inside coconuts are hung from trees at several public locations to monitor noise produced by overflying aircraft. Detection of excessive aircraft noise triggers automated telephone calls to the airport's complaint line on behalf of the city's residents and wildlife. Documentation of noise incidents is archived for later analysis.
still here 20:31
Max Roach links:
Darcy James Argue's Secret Society: Dr. Free-Zee
3quarksdaily » Blog Archive » “YOU CAN’T WRITE THE SAME BOOK TWICE”: Max Roach (1924-2007) The Rawking Refuses To Stop! :: When I said I wanted to be your blog Locust St. ANABlog: RIP, Max DO THE MATH: Max Roach (1924-2007) Darcy James Argue's Secret Society: RIP Max Roach exhumed ephemera
still here 15:31
"You are here to fix the price of the marriage bed!" roared Associate Defense Attorney John Graham, in a speech so packed with quotations from Othello, Judaic history and Roman law that it lasted two days and later appeared as a book.quoted in bio of Teresa Bagioli at Wikipedia
via bio of Daniel Sickles, ibid.
via bio of Antonio Bagioli, ibid.
still here 13:53
...ambitious robin keeps his shrewd ear low,Jenny Mueller
and hears the dew
vanish, the shade
steal, the cat
mouse, the grass
cover the worm.
The crow hears lies, lies, lies, and cries
out curses. Nighthawk hears the crow's
The mockingbird hears comedy
in all this.
The dove hears pain...
still here 00:54
Princess Rajah performs an "Oriental" or belly dance, and a balancing chair act in her teeth like that often found in folk performances in various cultures from Northern Africa to Greece.
Neil Young busking at Glasgow Central Railway Station, Scotland, 1976.
still here 22:09
Nothing in the Times would even suggest, naturally, that Theresa Duncan had been, or felt she had been, and testified to having been, testified that she had been harassed and intimidated by a dangerous and very powerful man who was conscienceless. There's nothing to suggest anything other than the superficial story as delivered in the news available - she left a note, he left a note, they're gone.
But in loyalty to what she was and did here, in this big after-school hang-out where we knew each other as similar creatures, it needs to be brought forward.
She was funny and cute and harsh and intimidating in a big-city way. Now she's gone.
This was for her.
still here 18:34
mmmThe world belongs to those who take itAnna Dickinson at josephhaworth.com
Anna Elizabeth Dickinson
As a result of her extraordinary efforts she was nicknamed the "Joan of Arc" of the Union cause and honored with having been the only woman up to that time to be invited to speak before Congress where President and Mrs. Lincoln were in attendance.
After the Civil War she fought for voting rights, but unlike Elizabeth Stanton and Susan B. Anthony who devoted their energies in support of women’s rights, Anna sided with suffrage for African American men. At the height of her lecturing career she made as much as $20,000 a year, more than Mark Twain was getting at the time.
After she was ridiculed for her appearance as Hamlet, Dickinson retired from the stage.
In 1888, at the invitation of the Republican National Committee she returned to the platform, but her rhetorical gifts had diminished and she proved an embarrassment. Rumors of mental illness followed and as her behavior grew more erratic her sister pushed to have her committed to an insane asylum in Danville, PA.
still here 16:53
Origen's full name was apparently Ōrigenēs Adamantios (Ὠριγενης Ἀδαμαντιος), with Adamantios, his nickname, meaning 'untameable' (the word ἀδαμας, adamas, means 'that cannot be tamed').
still here 08:49
I could have done this, I suppose I could still be doing it. Except I have a thing that pesters me when I do duplicitous stuff, and seems to be related to the creative impulse, denying access when I come toward it with venal airs.
This egregious site is called Picture History, and it's another bullshit strip-mining enterprise masquerading as a compendium of hard-found proprietary images kept and shared by custodially responsible collectors. As opposed to a little festering clot of greed-crazed chancers.
First check was American Indian Woman Leading Donkeys
by Theodor Horydczak
Query LoC for "Theodor Horydczak indian"
and there you go.
P. History says:
If you would like an image at a higher resolution, please email us your request at firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to include item number). Custom requests may take up to two weeks to be fulfilled and require an additional charge.The semi-literate presentation seems right out of Shorpyland.
I'm not sure what the outrage is, except that it's connected to the warm love and admiration running around in the LoC's P&P image files has created in me. It's a violation of where that love originates, the work involved in getting the images there and keeping them available.
It's pimpish, thuggish in a mercantile way, and its long-term effects are toxic though that's hard to pinpoint in the short run and after foundering on the blasé attitude of most everyone else I hesitate to even mention it. But like misused apostrophes, only more so, it bothers me.
still here 20:29
A woman monarch who called herself a pharaoh, dressed like a man and also wore a false beard, Hatshepsut ruled more than 3,000 years ago, wielding more power than two other women of ancient Egypt, Cleopatra and Nefertiti. The mummy identified as Hatshepsut shows an obese woman, who died in her 50s, and probably had diabetes and liver cancer, Dr Hawass said. Her left hand is positioned against her chest, a sign of royalty in ancient Egypt.GuardianUK
still here 18:54
Tatanka Ptieela (Short Bull)
June 20 1900
The Temple of Heaven where the Emperor worships at the solstices
Mobility keynotes modern warfare
Eric Sevareid (left) receives flowers from Italian peasant as fellow journalist, Newbold Noyes, looks on.
June 20, 1944
Mrs. Whiffen, Mary Carroll, Ada May
Ada Williams, Miss Miami 1927
I find the enclosed in the writing of Ada T. Stowell. I do not feel sure this is correctly indicated.
E.C. Stowell, Mar. 49
Bricktop - Ada Smith du Conge Paris 1934
nnnnnPortrait of Bricktop Paris 1934 (fix'd)
Ada B. Hicks and C. H. Muncie
Janey's only accomplishment was reading aloud
Ada Clendenin Williamson
Ada Overton Walker New York 1912
Madam Ada Costello
Ada Lopez Richards
Ada Kaleh Iron Gate of the Danube (fix'd)
Ada Griffith apparently under 12 (fix'd)
Courthouse, Ada, Okla. (detail)
This Ada County, Idaho, man and wife had come to the end of a losing battle against the choking drought when the Resettlement Administration came to their aid with a rehabilitation loan.
Rehabilitation family before nearly-built barn.
Ada County, Idaho
still here 20:36
To the song of two New Zealand birds is opposed "the abyss", with its pedal-notes for the trombones and the resonance of tam-tams. To the cries of the Brazilian Araponga is opposed "the coloured ecstasy" of pedal points. The work ending no differently from the way it began, but turning on itself like a rose-window of flamboyant and invisible colours.Oliver Messiaen
still here 19:07
This date in medieval history
1099:Siege of Jerusalem begins
In this climax of the First Crusade, the Christian army encamped before the city and began the siege that was to result in the capture of the city more than a month later.
1494:Treaty of Tordesillas signed
The Treaty determined the longitudinal dividing line between all future territories acquired by the explorers of Spain and Portugal
1329:Robert the Bruce
still here 00:11
- ► 2014 (36)
- ► 2013 (25)
- ► 2010 (10)
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (191)
12/30 - 01/06
- Wind rattled the TV antenna on the roof. Boys with...
- the chronophaged links in the Sottsass post below:...
- Momus informs us, elegiacally, that Ettore Sottsas...
- Secretly Canadian
- good, healthy, vegetarian food on very little cash...
- Death, online, at Yale - via Madame Martin
- The people who lived on St Kilda had their own cul...
- From Where I Stand: California's river mouthsmarkh...
- James Ravilious - John Berger and Jean Mohr
- A lahar - Small lahars could suddenly descend the ...
- ► 12/23 - 12/30 (4)
- ► 12/16 - 12/23 (5)
12/09 - 12/16
- "Safety first" is the motto of Miss Mary Jayne of ...
- A mud hut, but full of books.the storyteller will ...
- The Universe Nearby:Sloan Great Wall wkpd SGW APOD...
- *Portrait photographs 1920-1930, LoC:Adolf Hitler ...
- Man Ray, Mina Loy, Tristan Tzara, Jean Cocteau, Ez...
- Exclusive debutantes in silhouette
- ► 12/02 - 12/09 (7)
- ► 11/25 - 12/02 (2)
- ► 11/18 - 11/25 (2)
11/11 - 11/18
- New Hitherby - Sylvia Townsend Warner
- Margot Fonteyn and Michael Somes 1940
- "SWOON is not me. I’m not Swoon."
- Here's Jason Kottke's putrid little "Shorpy" writ ...
- The whole realm of staged (to whatever extent), ye...
- Chipmunk Squirrel Costume Party Jason Bredle Ve...
- Because ultra high energy cosmic rays are so rare ...
- Woman in aeroplane ready for swimming - Herr Oscar...
- ► 11/04 - 11/11 (4)
- ► 10/28 - 11/04 (5)
- ► 10/21 - 10/28 (8)
10/14 - 10/21
- Five Typical Natives Five men in three blanket boa...
- Man cranking auto with five women, in front of Th...
- Five peasant women standing outside of log house
- Five men, in observation room of eye institute
-  Apache Indians, Tucson, Arizona
- Five football players
- eternity, step by step:not all quantum-mechanical ...
- 26. untitled (igloo floorplans)Shuvinai Ashoona: ...
- All that We OwnKananginak Pootoogook Cape Dorset ,...
- 3 Ajaw
- Most Popular Baby Boy Name this century:JacobThis ...
- gazedesiree dolron
- Russian animation documentary - Animatsiya in Engl...
- ► 10/07 - 10/14 (4)
09/30 - 10/07
- Isolated Building Studies via things
- Bryan Finoki on Glenn Weynant, Anta Project barrie...
- The Anta Project an enhanced sound collage compil...
- Agent Orange:American veterans sued seven of the ...
- Thank you mall.
- David Byrne covers "Graceland"
- Photographic Tour of the USA by Trucker Mike: Buil...
- Pascal Comelade Pascal Comelade Pascal Comelade
- Sophie hunger - Ne me quitte pas at blogothèque: l...
- soviet life via Vorontsova-Jurjeva via English Rus...
- "Dad's Gonna Kill Me"Richard Thompson bows to the ...
- "...described the living space as little more than...
- Tutulemma from Side
- scientific equipment and peculiar substances
- Another amazing hole at Damn Interesting
09/23 - 09/30
- 7 amazing holes
- Portsmouth Square, San Francisco 1851
- It doesn't matter.via RW
- Julie Heffernan versus Hannah Primrose, Countess o...
- One Week's DeadBinh Danh at Light Work via Asian P...
- A Hole in Mars
- Human ThingThe Be Good Tanyas
- Shooting stars hear coyotes Sue Coe - Graphic Witn...
- Marcel Marceau had the only speaking part in Mel B...
- in the quiet Dilkusha area of Lucknow
- their small, still relative.
- ► 09/16 - 09/23 (4)
09/09 - 09/16
- Diamanda Galas - Judgment Day Diamanda Galas home
- Two monks with telescope at the astronomical obser...
- Skeleton Automaton on the Astronomical Clock (link...
- wikipedia on William Dunbar: Dunbar has the curiou...
- sacred and profane beauty: Sirin Sirine Cyrine Abd...
- Tarantella Calabrese-youtube somehow followed from...
- reserved for the damned via
- Lace Fence via
09/02 - 09/09
- New GardenWalk away, he said, and do not scream. A...
- "It's a nice story but there's nothing underneath ...
- Res Est Sacra Miser
- TELEVISION Ma Jun L.A.Galerie via Vitro Nasu
- floordrobe n. A pile of discarded clothes on the f...
- "If I admitted that those stories were true, peopl...
- "Cigarettes and food was all you thought about."Pr...
- Film production crew with large fans producing wi...
- Meanwhile, back in the jungle
- "As one of the first dissection animals experience...
- ...out of a potato and some beans...
- "...bequeathed to me when they went back to Japan"...
- “Soy un amigo de Allen Ginsberg”
- define:mantel A climbing move which looks like a s...
08/26 - 09/02
- A cow and 2 frogs -"Since you have caught cold." M...
- Tripwire is a site-specific installation respondin...
- The arsonist of Black Rock City speaks
- flying pancake
- something new here Seam Carving for Content-Based ...
- After performing the complicated rituals from his ...
- Margaret Atwood’s amazing “Long Pen” in action in ...
- ...there, like the syntax, to draw attention to th...
- [Many things about the story are puzzling.] ...we ...
- Here is an example! < twin-cities sidewalks < bldb...
08/19 - 08/26
- Ajax13 Web2.0 software-as-a-service via Stan Schro...
- the matter of Philo S.
- Conscript ...and score the slips, on book, flash-l...
- road 55 arja katariina hyytiainen via conscientio...
- into that unmapped country:It is much more true, h...
- Oh, Rudy!
- Collapse of south tower of World Trade CenterJames...
- ► 08/12 - 08/19 (5)
- ► 08/05 - 08/12 (2)
- ► 07/29 - 08/05 (2)
- ► 07/22 - 07/29 (3)
07/08 - 07/15
- Mr. Lee - Photo Tour via peaceful bean
- Pedernales River chili - the Highway Beautificatio...
- 7 Means of Movement at Locust St. music, explicati...
- Bob Dylan has 86934 friends
- mmmThe world belongs to those who take it Anna Eli...
- Isle of Graia Gulf of Akabah Arabia Petraea Feby ...
- The Tiger Lilies - My Dear Alphonso
- Stuart (the male Patti) in the new 1492
- Dick...In The Flesh!
- St. Paul's Cathedral (the incoming tide) J. Alpheg...
- Harry and Beatrice Houdini with Sarah Bernhardt 19...
- Alex Gross at Merry Karnowsky - The Art of Alex Gr...
- 2 billion Chinese mice
- Origen's full name was apparently Ōrigenēs Adamant...
- ► 07/01 - 07/08 (7)
06/24 - 07/01
- The High Rollers Extravaganza Co. Courier Litho 1...
- Survivors of electric shock are also welcome in Pi...
- vvvvvvvvvvvvLand ends with miles of aloe along the...
- Mummy!A woman monarch who called herself a pharaoh...
- June 26: David Byrne's currently observing "Nation...
- Main artifacts of the Ordos people, as displayed i...
- The International Space Station Expands Again
- Inferred but not felt by a mind that has left Itse...
06/17 - 06/24
- The closest I can come to describing it is to say ...
- Largest island in a lake on an island in a lake on...
- The evidence...
- The worship of Bacchus, or, the drinking customs o...
- - Red Cloud Tatanka Ptieela (Short Bull) June 20 ...
- Love on rose-colored wings Rosa Ponselle
- Marg. Vale, Constance Binney, Mrs. Whiffen, Mary ...
- Ada Lovelace, the princess of parallelograms
- Her chest is heavy, with medals...
- America Adventure (Western Scene) Beijing Shijings...
- To the song of two New Zealand birds is opposed "t...
- ► 06/10 - 06/17 (4)
- ► 06/03 - 06/10 (13)
- ▼ 12/30 - 01/06 (10)
- ► 2006 (458)
- ► 2005 (399)
- ► 2004 (824)
- ► 2003 (825)
- ► 2002 (987)
- ► 2001 (780)