"When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth,
then, and not til then, let my epitaph be written."
Robert Emmet's Speech From The Dock
On September 8, 1803, Irish patriot Robert Emmet, age 25, wrote a letter from his cell in Kilmainham jail, Dublin. He addressed it to "Miss Sarah Curran, the Priory, Rathfarnham" and handed it to a prison warden, George Dunn, whom he trusted to deliver it. Dunn betrayed him and gave the letter to the government authorities, an action that nearly cost Sarah her life.
still here 20:35
I get the sense at times there's an adamantly critical mind or set of minds looking for a narrative here, as much because everything they were raised on had a narrative as because they have that kind of protected paranoia that sees a narrative in everything.
There is no narrative here. No theme. Not even the random pattern of someone's interests catalogued. Just bits and pieces. I look at a lot more than what I link to here, and if there is any kind of organization within that it's the joy of seeing, and a desire to share that joy, the way it's shared elsewhere.
still here 19:52
Devils Slide is the name of this geological feature in southern Utah, photographed by Timothy O'Sullivan just after the Civil War. Though what it really looks like is the door to the world, or, as Jean-Désiré-Gustave Courbet named it, The Origin of The World.
There's a rock formation along the Columbia river east of Portland Oregon, called "Rooster Rock". Children who've only seen live chickens in petting zoos or on Animal Planet recognize immediately that it looks nothing like a rooster. It does look a great deal like something else, of course. Really a lot. Plus it rhymes that way. And that was its original name. "Cock Rock"
What this communicates to children who lack parents wise enough to explain that the entire society in which they are being raised is mentally ill and has been for some time, especially about sex, is precisely that sickness. It is a communicable disease, an infection, a communication of infection, the transmission of a contagious disease along the generations.
Those children whose parents are wise enough to explain clearly why and how this sickness is transmitted will have lots of problems besides seemingly silly things like "naughty" landmarks. It's precisely this sexual pathology which burned homosexuals alive 100 years ago, and imprisoned black men for having "relations" with white women just decades ago.
Sickness, passed along from sick parent to innocent child. Like the need for circumcision. There's no evidence for it, just the fact that it was done to everyone who came before, and that thinking about not doing it is vaguely frightening.
still here 18:41
Rose Cowan (Rosa Rolanda Covarrubias) by Arnold Genthe
Rosa RolandaCovarrubias by Edward Weston
Rosa Rolanda by her husband, Miguel Covarrubias
portrait by Carl Van Vechten
by Man Ray
Sala Rosa Rolanda
Museo Virtual de la Sala Porfirio Díaz
Biblioteca Universidad de las Américas, Puebla
still here 15:39
Transit of Venus June 8
unavailable in the western hemisphere
The six-hour event will be watched - on projected screens, or via television and internet - by hundreds of millions. No human alive has ever seen a transit of Venus; the last was in 1881._
—Tim Radford Guardian UK
"Americans' great and secret fear is that America may turn out to be a phenomenon rather than a civilization."
author of The Transit of Venus, a novel
(a novel highly recommended to fans of Elizabeth Bowen and/or Robertson Davies)
still here 20:02
- ► 2010 (10)
- ► 2009 (49)
- ► 2008 (191)
- ► 2007 (365)
- ► 2006 (458)
- ► 2005 (399)
05/30 - 06/06
- Washing Day
- "When my country takes her place among the nations...
- The Struggle Is My Life Nelson Mandela
- rotten gentry of China
- I get the sense at times there's an adamantly crit...
- The tomb of President James Garfield loc
- Devils Slide is the name of this geological featur...
- Rose Cowan (Rosa Rolanda Covarrubias) by Arnold ...
- el problema de los angeles es que se olvidan de vo...
- El ovillo Angeles Garduño Patrimonio Artístico d...
- Jesusito sera un Santo David Siqueiros Adani Gal...
- Arrieros Somos Guillermo Meza Arthur Ross Galle...
- Centro de Transporte Sustentable de la Ciudad de M...
- Transit of Venus June 8 unavailable in the wester...
- Vectors 2.0: More Aphorisms and Ten-Second Essays ...
- See No Evil, Speak No Evil, Etc.(Homage to Kunisad...
- twoLa niña del taco also: Niña de la muñeca (...
- Message from an ex-Black Panther Willie Birch...
- Oyster Shard ...how, inside, it has born its f...
- Neil Young wouldn't fuckin' do it.
- Small Ode Hayden Carruth Poetry Daily June.0...
- Mark Growden
- ▼ 05/30 - 06/06 (22)
- ► 2003 (825)
- ► 2002 (987)
- ► 2001 (780)