these are the timesdirty beloved
-

21.11.05

An elevated position at The Most Enchanting Spot in the World.
I was preparing material for what I thought were two entirely separate entries, on bears, and on a turn-of-the-19th-century amusement park at Coney Island called Dreamland - but this page links them both in a way that seems a good beginning.
So, bears, and Woodward's Gardens, a precursor of Dreamland, in San Francisco.
I don't revere bears, I actually feel afraid of them in a way that I don't experience with any other animal, including sharks and poisonous snakes - both of which scare me, but in a healthy and understandable way. Bears spook me in a way that has a supernatural dimension, the idea of bears scares me. Yet there were many photos I found that showed them caged and humiliated, photos that tap an already existing disgust toward their captors that has nothing supernatural about it - so it's a mixed response, all in all.
The Dreamland effort has a kind of polarity to the gathered images of bears, entirely human, fantastic, temporary, gone.

Blog Archive

Vivian

db annex larger,longer image-heavy posts