these are the timesdirty beloved
-

13.12.03

Fear and Trembling

Ω{I thought Amélie Nothomb was a lot more popular than she seems to be from a google search. In english I mean. She's pretty renowned in the francophone world.
Fear and Trembling is a tight little ship, like a bath toy, like something when you were alone in there you might rub yourself with, other times just float it along through the bubbles and waves, and it's like that brightness too of the bath, the intimate brightness and skin of vulnerability but the doors are closed and you're alone. It's not masturbatory but it has that inversion, that sensual turning in.
Because it takes place in Japan I wonder if that's why it reminds me of Banana Yoshimoto's novels. Or its size, it's a small thing, like Kitchen and Lizard. It has that sense of deeply maintained control too, steadiness of realization.
It's a sweet book. I read it right through quite happily.
Nothomb is also affiliated with the firmly androgynous Robert, or Princesse Robert, a French music person of great feminine beauty but seemingly masculine gender. I can't respond to his music, which I've only encountered so far on his web site, because it will only play on the two main music applications, Real and Windows, neither of which work for me.}

Blog Archive

Vivian

db annex larger,longer image-heavy posts