these are the timesdirty beloved
-

14.12.03

Elizabeth Durack 1915 - 2000

REBECCA HOSACK: Yes. I think that she had extraordinary experiences with Aboriginal people as a young girl. I mean she used to tell me that she would sometimes the Aboriginals on the station would say, 'Come with me'. And they would go - she would go walking for three weeks not knowing when she was going to come back. I think as an older woman she - and as an artist - starting extrapolating from those experiences. And I think the persona of Eddie Burrup freed her up.

MATT PEACOCK: Did you discuss this with her at all?

REBECCA HOSACK: Oh, I mean we talked about it a lot. And I think part of the reason of doing the show we both felt that it was important to open the debate. But there should be a debate that's honest. It shouldn't be vicious. It shouldn't be rebarbative. If you are not going to be cross with her for crossing gender barriers - which no one is - you know, perhaps why should we be cross with her crossing race barriers? She did have a lot of experience, genuine experience, perhaps more than many white people I know - most white people I know - with Aboriginal people.
Australian Broadcast Company interview

The Art of Eddie Burrup
__



Children's lives
Beyond the Picket Fence
National Library of Australia Online Exhibitions
__________

from a search for Ruby Lindsay



who died in the Spanish Influenza epidemic following World War 1, at the age of 22.
She came from an artistic family.

Blog Archive

Vivian

db annex larger,longer image-heavy posts